Ok, I hate to start my posting off with something of a rant, but I do have something I must get off my chest.
As I mentioned we are heavily involved in scouting, which like most kids things are run by VOLUNTEERS. Now, my first rant is that if your kid is involved, and you are not....shame on you. My husband is one of you. He is of the mindset that someone else will take care of it. And if everyone were of that mindset?
Second, when you volunteer ..... it is unpaid. Meaning no $$$$, but even more....meaning that you may or may not receive a "thank-you", or a pat on the back, or any kind of recognition. When you sign up, you should be doing so for your own fulfillment and that of whatever organization it is. If you sign up expecting something.....well, you are not in the right frame of mind.
I go on this rant periodically, not so much for myself, but because I encounter people who are "volunteers gone awry" and they really chafe me. I encountered one such recently, had words, and now am faced with a year of face to face with that person knowing that she now has deep hatred for me because I shared what is the truth and what several had said to me but I was the only one with guts to step up and say something. Sometimes the truth hurts, but we have to move on and grow from it.
Note, in my exchange with said person "this is a thankless job. Noone ever thanks me for what I do." Again, if you go in expecting "payment" as a volunteer, you are in the wrong place. Payment is nice when it happens, but we should not expect it.
My payment? I love watching the boys grow into successful individuals. I love seeing the smiles on their faces when we are doing our activities. This is what keeps me in it for the long run.
Now, hopefully I will not bore you with this rant again......at least for a year. :)
I love this rant. I encourage these rants. Sorry you have to work with this person all year, but kudos on letting her in on the big bad (shouldn't-be-a-) secret of volunteering.
ReplyDeleteI, too, encounter these types of people. Furthering your rant is that, typically, these are the moms of the kids who never say "thank you". For anything. These "you-owe-me" volunteers have the same mindset kids who don't appreciate all that you do.
But, yes, payment comes for me, at night, when I tuck my kids in and know that I've done right by them. And they say "thank you."